Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Knitting niceness...


One night when I was knitting in front of the tv, K asked what I was doing with those "sticks". Well son, about 20 years ago your Grandma tried to teach me how to knit. She actually did teach me the basics, I made two items - two simple vests. One of these was for a school project. While my Mum could knit the most elaborate of patterns - dolls' clothes, baby booties, cables, I ditched the needles until this fabulous person showed me her latest project which inspired me to seek out the 'sticks'. Never being one to start on something easy (like a scarf), I sought out a soaker pattern and set to work. Little did I realise that along the journey not only would I rediscover the magic of knitting, but I would learn a tonne of knitting 'tricks' like magic loop, grafting and short rows. So here it is, my first project in 20-odd years, a pair of soakers for 'turtle', in green of course. Pattern: Ladybug Loops. Yarn: Cleckheaton Country 8 ply. A special thank you to Sharyn from Virgo Knits who so generously spent time sharing her knitting expertise to help make these special soakers for our little one. Now to wash and lanolise them ready for wear....

3 comments:

nerida said...

Wow! These are really beautiful Susan - you have done a fantastic job of these! How do you lanolise them? You are very tricky - look forward to seeing them 'in the wool' tomorrow night!

Brissmiths said...

I have a spray-on lanoliser which I just spray over the top of the pants. It is called Creamy Lanolin Spray by Sheepish Grins in "dreamcatcher" scent - smells devine. The shorties are ready for 'show and tell' - all set for tomorrow night - no signs of having to cancel yet :)

MadMel said...

great job!! I think you've done brilliantly after 20 years of not doing anything :)