Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Monkeysbug Sweet Sailor Ruffle Shorts

Monkeysbug (Kate) has some gorgeous patterns for sale on Etsy, this one is no exception.

Unfortunately, no modelled shot to show you though. While J could fit into the larger sizse of these short, there was not enough chocolate in the world to convince him that this was a good idea just so I could take some photos. 

 P1030784

Over the past weeks I've been reading a few suggestions about basting tape and fabric glue for basting. This reminded me that I had a can of basting spray which was excellent for holding the pocket in place while sewing. Something to remember for the future especially with tricky/fiddly pieces.


P1030785

Here's the review:


Pattern Description: Girls' elastic-waisted short with side ruffles and back pocket.

Pattern Sizing: Various sizes are available on the pdf pattern. I made a size 3 and a size 2 (for presents)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. Although I left the patterns off as I felt they weren't really needed on the fabric. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Good instructions and photos. Had no problems with sewing them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that they are shorts but with a feminine touch.


Fabric used: Cotton fabric from my stash. Ruffles made from fabric recently purchased to make a hat and quilt for my son but instead ended up on these shorts. Cotton fabric from a friend's stash for the pockets.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: A few ladies on the sewing facebook page I follow have made the pieces of fabric longer so there can be more ruffles. I think that is a great idea and I'll be doing this next time.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and yes. It was easy enough for beginners to sew and I think they look very cute. Great for contrasting fabric.

Conclusion: Highly recommended pattern

1 comment:

Ajcarter33 said...

They are cute! I'm looking for some ruffle shorts for little girls. Will check out the pattern!