Thursday, January 24, 2013

Simplicity 2211 Lisette blouse - welcome back to sewing for self


This is one of those projects that you make a while ago but finally get around to photograph and share. I think I even made this before the Vogue dress blogged earlier last year.

My husband said I was posing like a model when he took the photos LOL! Although I don't think models come with double chins....

A couple of lessons learnt though with the sewing so I'll write them up in the pattern reviews. I'll start with the blouse.



Simplicity 2211 & Emaline SkirtBlouse - Simplicity 2211


Pattern Description: Misses blouse pattern, Simplicity 2211
Lisette Sew your style pattern with short sleeves and fake front placket.

Pattern Sizing: I cut a size 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes I think so although my choice of fabric could have been better.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I had no problem at all with the instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I think it is a cute pattern on other people but I don't think it is the right pattern style for me. 

Fabric Used: Quilter's cotton. I wanted a colour to match the skirt and this was the only fabric I could find in Spotlight.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made quite few. Firstly, a full bust adjustment. I had trouble fitting the neckline and shoulders/back so maybe I should have gone down another size and made a larger FBA. It seemed to fit ok when I made up a muslin, perhaps it was the difference in the drape of the fabric between the muslin and final version. As I had to go with the size 12 I had cut, I put darts in the back neckline to reduce the neck gap. I adjusted for sloping shoulders. The shoulder/sleeve line was also in the wrong position for me so I sewed in little pleats which are hardly noticeable to bring it up further onto the shoulder line (thanks to an online sewing friend Margo for the tip). Please ignore the dodgy sewing....
 P1030922

To show you that sewing for yourself is sometimes a journey, here is the blouse before I adjusted the neckline and shoulders.


I originally extended the length but someone that was lost in translation so after I had worn it a few times I decided to go back and sew on a bottom band as I like that extra length to tuck in. I think adding extra length is a must for this pattern. I also added to the armband (the pattern was a bit tight) like others who have sewn before me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? No, I won't be sewing this again. It is a cute pattern but I think looks better on a different body shape. A few others like this pattern so have a look through the other pattern reviews before making up your own mind.

Conclusion: Cute style, but not for me.  This was my first attempt at sewing for me after a long break so I think I did ok.



Photobucket

No comments: