Sunday, February 10, 2013

Emaline skirt - sewing for self Part 2

Simplicity 2211 & Emaline skirt
  
This skirt is one of those where the fabric can really make it "sing". A simple design and construction it is a great classic design that can be dressed up or down. I learnt a lesson though about how to store fabric as this gorgeous linen was washed and then folded for storage (where it sat for about two years *gulp*) and when I unfolded it to cut I found fold lines down either side. I tried vinegar, soaking, ironing with brown paper. While the lines faded a bit, they didn't go away completely. A little line down the back of the skirt I could live with but a line down the front I found 'distracting'. My workaround was to fussy-cut the animals and create a small panel to run down the front.  Nobody ever questions why it is there and I usually get a comment or two about this skirt - it certainly is an original! I purchased the fabric from a local quilting/sewing store at their annual sale. I'd love to pick up more one day (and use it more quickly)!

The blouse is from a Lisette pattern and you can find the details are couple of posts back.

 P1030949

Pattern Description: An innovative redesign of the  popular Emily skirt by Serendipity Studio. A-line easy to sew with three different skirt options with easy to read pattern markings and hand illustrated instructions. This skirt is designed with a small amount of ease that fits just below the waist to be extra comfortable as well as complimentary to every figure. The pattern includes instructions for all variations along with alteration and fitting tips to produce a flattering fit for all sizes and body types. Embellishment options offerred .

Pattern Sizing:XXS - XXL. I made a medium.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes and there are also instructions with photos on Serendipity's website for sewing an invisible zipper. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Easy to sew and lots of options

Fabric Used:  Echnio fabric purchased on sale

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes I would love to sew it again, perhaps with a better fit (add in a little ease around the hips) as I think it could do with a little extra there.  A great A-line skirt pattern. I will be really using my block from my Voodoo Rabbit skirt drafting class as a guide for future versions to get the fit better to suit my body.



Photobucket

1 comment:

Margo said...

gah!  how incredibly annoying to get those pesky lines on such lovely fabric!  well done on the work around.  I must admit I've had no success with a-line skirts - I end up with a most unflattering "duck bottom" *ekk*.   Hoping the work this out at the skirt drafting course!