Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Goodship Dress

I should have a huge feeling of elation as this The Goodship Dress has languished in my WIP pile for a little while. For some reason my zest for completing it disappeared soon after the birthday party (where it was meant to be gifted) had passed. There is a valuable lesson from this - do not start a project the day before the party.

The pattern is the only design by One Girl Circus and I was drawn to the sailor collar and the fact that the pattern went up to size 13/14. It was pretty easy to make up, with the french seaming for the side seams an unusual (but nice) finish. I did over think the front panel section though and needed some guidance from the pattern designer to make sure I was on the right track. I have a tendency to think the construction should be more complicated that what it really is sometimes and I found the instructions were a lacking when it came to the front section of the garment. A couple of more illustrations would have helped. I also don't like the pockets. They seem a little small although I am used to pockets for big boys not dainty hands!

Overall though, it is a cute dress and looks nice and cool for summer. I like the cap sleeve options which may be better for some arm coverage and I think the tab version may be more practical than the bow. I am not very happy with how the neckline in the finished garment (my sewing not the pattern) ended up but I'm sure it will be fine when worn.

There is also a different Amy Butler Lark fabric inside the pleat. I forgot to take a photo of this and now the dress is all wrapped up.

Fabric: Amy Butler cotton and stash fabric (approx 2 yards)
Pattern: The Goodship Dress, size 3




No comments: