Sunday, January 3, 2016

The first for 2016 - Banyan Tee Shirt

My first project for 2016 is a Banyan Tee Shirt using the pattern by Figgy's. It is described as a 'relaxed fit tee'.

Figgy's have a small pdf pattern range for children, mostly girls. Here is the pattern company blurb from their website:

Figgy's is a creation stemmed from love, passion & dedication. What started with the idea of a sewing company and one single pattern became the acclaimed Patterns by Figgy's and transformed yet again into the company that it was always meant to be; Figgy's. We create simple to make patterns with modern style and contemporary taste that won't be out of style in a season or two. Alongside those attributes you will find well written instructions, professional illustrations & the security of knowing that each of our patterns has been tested by professional and non-professional sewists. There is an African proverb that states "It takes a village to raise a child" and at Figgy's it is no different. Here is who works and lives in our village.


I cut the Banyan pattern out earlier in the year in the maximum size (8 -9 years). The fabric was purchased in a mixed lot of boy stretch fabrics directly from Korea. It was through a Facebook group, and I removed later removed myself from the group to prevent future temptation :). 

Six months later...the tee shirt is sewn up and the verdict is in. At the time of cutting, Mr K gave it his thumbs up but now it is is thumbs down, ' people will laugh at me Mum'.   

Fortunately, Mr J does love the fabric so the tee is now his. He especially loves the pocket.


It was a simple sew, although because I don't sew tees often and the neckband fabric didn't have enough stretch to fit the neckline so I had to unpick and recut. In the end I don't like how the neckline has turned out as I think the fussing and unpicking stretched the fabric. When I look at other finished versions, the neckline also doesn't lie flat so perhaps this is the relaxed look?

Would I recommend buying the pattern? The pattern is OK. Tees aren't my favourite item to sew so for me, I wouldn't get value for money from $10 for this pattern (I won this pattern through a blog giveaway).

My thoughts on sizing. The sizing runs on the small side. I would add length to all sizes. 

The fabric is cute and was easy to sew and being 100% cotton it should be nice to wear. The fit is a bit large for Mr J but he loves it and it will get wear, even if it is around the house. The neckline isn't sitting properly in the photo and I only had one chance for a photo so this is it.....






No comments: