Friday, May 27, 2011

Flirt skirts


The latest book to arrive in my letterbox is "Flirt Skirts" by Patti Gilstrap and Seryn Potter. This book features three basic skirts - a-line, pencil and flared and different ways to customise them. If you are a skirt lover, like me, but are looking for ways to jazz them up, this is a great book. Although there are a couple of ideas I'll be steering away from (like the 'bustle' back - I don't think I need to add more fabric to my rear....) and overall I think more attention could have been paid to how the photos were styled. I do like though the instructions in the front of book on how to get a good fit and picked up a few hints on how to ensure a good fit. I better get onto doing some sewing for myself!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A little Olearia


If I haven't told you before, I should have mentioned that every little girl (up to size eight) needs an Olearia in their wardrobe. And while I've knitted this pattern before so should know what I'm doing, this one encountered some problems which were set to test me (and my lovely MIL who sorted out the sleeve issue) and to teach me some lessons along the way (like to never use dental floss to hold stitches). This is destined to be a gift for a little girl, and while it is little late it is a size one and fortunately she isn't quite at that age...yet. This pattern is designed by Georgie Hallam (Tikki) who was also the master creator behind the design of my other recently finished knitted item, the Milo vest. This was another project that I was able to finish while waiting at the hospital (just in case you think I'm at home madly knitting)

Children's sewing swap - received for Kaiden



In my catch-up on blog posts, I remembered the other day that I had forgotten to show what K received in the latest EB sewing swap. Sorry to our partner, Carolyn who must have torn her hair out in sewing up the vest. It looks quite complicated and tricky. K loved the outfit (see the thumbs up!). (sorry for the bad photos)



It was lovely that Carolyn threw in some other fabric and an outfit she had previously made






but was no longer loved by her kids. Well it has found a new home and is well-loved here. K also loved the dinosaur ribbon that was tying it all together. I think that is going on my next shopping list!

Thanks Carolyn!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Quilts for Queensland



During the Queensland floods I felt positively helpless and wanted to find a way to let people know that they were in our thoughts. Retro Mummy is co-ordinating Quilts of Queensland drive and I made some 12 1/2 inch blocks to contribute to the cause.

A handmade quilt is great to snuggle under. It keeps you warm. It can help a house feel like a home. It is like a huge hug.

I've made nine blocks in total which should be enough for a small quilt. It now just needs sashing (the pieces that join the blocks together), backing and quilting. I'm hoping that someone can help with this as I don't have any suitable fabric for this or the time/expertise to do the quilting.

Nine blocks for quilts for Queensland

One of the finished blocks

Most of the fabric was gifted to me by a fellow Essential Baby quilter; some are leftovers from other projects and I bought some small pieces from Spotlight as I don't have much quilting fabric in my fabric stash.

Knitting Milos

 This Milo vest is a nine-month size and features a hugs and kisses cable. It is for a gift.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hotshot vest for J


Now the nights are getting cooler, my favourite spot is on the lounge after the boys have gone to bed with a spot of knitting. I recently finished a "Hotshot" for J which was an easy knit and finished over a couple of weeks which is a record for me (both to finish knitting something AND to do it over the span of weeks, not months!).

Knitted completely in the round on circular needles it was a simple knit.
Trust me it looks great on Jordan although I currently don't have a modeled shot as he distinctly told me "no" even when I politely asked if he could wear it for a photo (several times). Definitely a recommended pattern and I've seen versions for both boys and girls which look great.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ruffle romper



Not set to finish with the ruffled bloomers, I made a pair of ruffled rompers. They look very cute and while I haven't seen what look like on, the photos here do not do them justice. I think that it adding snaps to the bottom to make nappy changes or toilet training easier for this size (size three) would be a good idea. Here's the link to a finished pair by the pattern designer Tie Dye Diva to give you an idea of the finished look.

Fabric:
quilter's cotton from Spotlight
Made for: Lily
Pattern: Tie Dye Diva, size 3, Ruffle Romper (no pattern alterations)

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ruffle pants and swing top

It seems like ages since I have posted about a finished item. I have been crafting; just the time has been shortened, especially as I have been feeling tired at night and knitting a few rows here and there is more appealing. Now also that I'm working full-time my crafting time will be especially tight. Before I changed working days, I was able to make this cute little ensemble for a work friend's little girl. The cuteness factor is huge!! It was also a change to fiddle and learn how to use my new overlocker which deserves a post of its own. The patterns were super easy, especially with doing the rolled hem on my overlocker and for extra cuteness I made a covered button for the back.

Ruffle pants back




Front of the whole outfit showing the swing top


Back of the whole outfit


Made for: Miss Lily, aged nearly 3
Fabric: Cotton from Spotlight
Patterns: Tie Dye Diva