Monday, September 6, 2010
In the boy zone - EB Kid's sewing swap - sent item #2
I challenged myself to make for two people in the swap. After all, it wasn't fair for one of our boys to receive and not the other? The second person I made for was Claire's little boy who is just a little bit younger than Jordan.
I made a pair of Oliver & S shorts and embroidered them with an applique and words in a car theme. The t-shirt was made using an Ottobre pattern and embellished with an applique. I finished off the outfit with a little vest, still going with the car theme.
Fabric: See I am using fabric from my stash!! Shorts made with denim from a Gardams sale purchased 2009. It had been folded for storage so had some fold marks in it which were only slightly noticeable but I couldn't remove them so I created more marks by distressing the fabric some more! I wanted to do some form of distressing anyway. I stitched some seams, then ran over them with sandpaper dipped in bleach, let them dry then unpicked the stitching.
T-shirt made with stretch fabric from Spotlight purchased 2006.
Vest made with Michael Miller fabric purchased from Sewco 2007, lined with denim same as the shorts.
Notions: buttons from a Ravelry swap.
Embroidery: Car and lettering from Bunnycup designs
Patterns: Oliver & S Sailbox pants size 12 - 18 months. I hadn't used this pattern before despite it being in my cupboard for a year. I found these easy to sew but next time would use a lighter weight denim as it was quite thick in parts. The fit is quite trim so if I was making these for Jordan I would increase them in the rise.
Shirt pattern: Ottobre 1/2008 I found the neck too tight so cut it lower either that or my tester Jordan has a big head. Made a little car applique which is appliqued onto cotton fabric first then straight-stitched to the shirt. I don't think this is my best effort, I don't like stretch sewing!! I don't think making a baby's t-shirt will be in my future again.
Vest pattern: Free pattern download from Leila & Ben